76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010
76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010
76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010
76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010
76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010
76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010
76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010
76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010
76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010
76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010
76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010
76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010
76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010
76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010
76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010
76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010
76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010
76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010
76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010
76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010
76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010
76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010
76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010
76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010
76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010
76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010
76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010
76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010
76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010
76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS 7010

76 Montrose Road Montrose, TAS

Sold

Sold on 8 Apr 2014

Historic Montrose House will be auctioned on the 8th February 12pm On Site. The property dates from 1813 with an impressive Georgian extension added in 1836.

Painter and botanist Robert Littlejohn arrived in Van Diemen's Land in 1803 and was given a grant of land on which he built the original section of the house. The Georgian extension was added in 1836 by colonial Politian and lawyer Thomas Horne.

This substantial house covers two storeys with 384 sqm of floor space situated on 4897 sqm of land. It is built of convict bricks and weatherboards with a galvanised iron roof.

The gardens are a special feature of this property with same exceptional flora, including a 105 year old bay tree. There is also a lovely 'secret' garden that faces the impressive Georgian façade with covered verandah.

The house has been extensively modernised over the years, but there is still plenty of opportunity to add your own personal history to this home.

There are 5 bedrooms each with its own bathroom, as the property was run as a Bed and Breakfast for approximately 10 years from 1989.

The downstairs area of the original 1813 section of the house includes a modernised kitchen, a long dining room and laundry which was the original kitchen, plus a sitting room and a bedroom with en suite.

The renovated kitchen has granite bench tops, Blackwood cabinets and a state of the art gas cooker. It leads into the long dining room which was used by Robert Littlejohn as a school room from which he taught drawing to his neighbours' children. This is a very special room because of its size, the doors leading onto the courtyard and the fact that it retains its original hand cut shingle ceiling.

From the downstairs sitting room there is a door that takes you through to the 1836 section of the house, which (downstairs) includes an impressive foyer, a large sitting room with open fireplace and a library with built in book shelving. The flooring in this area is alternate Huon pine and Blackwood. The library is a very special room with large proportions and a pressed metal ceiling

There is a Blackwood staircase leading off the foyer that takes you to the first level of accommodation that includes two bedrooms both with en suites and a small study. There is a small landing at the top of the stairs that leads onto two more bedrooms (one currently used as a sitting room) each with their own en suites. From here stairs lead you back to the 1813 sitting room.

There is an original 1813 stable block with 6 stables and a powered workshop. It is rumoured that notorious bushranger Martin Cash would stable his horse here to allow for a quick getaway. Today it offers heaps of storage and a great work area.

There is also the original outdoor WC. There is off street parking for approximately 5 vehicles.


Key Property Details

  • Ensuite

  • Property Type: House
  • Construction: Brick Veneer
  • House Size: 384.00 m²
  • Land Area: 4,897 m²